Hayes Man did it big for his first Super Bowl, y'all. Not only did we celebrate with all the football lovers across the nation, but we preceded the big game with a little smash cake photo shoot action. How else would you kick off your very first birthday month? The shoot marked the first time our Hayes had a taste of what could arguably be considered one of Mommy's favorite foods- cake! While he wasn't super sure why Mommy and Daddy took him out into the middle of MiMi and Pappaw's orchard, without a shirt on and set the biggest serving of food he's ever been offered in front of him, he did love the taste of cake once he dug into it. I kept it simple and made a from scratch yellow cake with buttercream icing that was tinted baby blue, which was the perfect accent to add to our little man's dapper bow tie and suspender ensemble. We went full-on Pinterest with this shoot, complete with burlap banner, party hat and after-cake tub photos. It was so much fun and I can't wait to see the final product! After the photo shoot, some of the family came out to Lynn and Tami's to eat and watch the Super Bowl. I'm not sure I could really remember any of the commercials I saw, but I did enjoy the half time show tremendously and had a hard time refraining from busting a move all over the place. I guess the sound of throwback to high school Missy Elliott can do that to a girl. It was the perfect ending to a great weekend and now we anxiously await the big first birthday and all of the festivities that go along with it!

The smash cake in all its glory
"So you mean if I dig into this, or throw it off the high chair, I'm not going to get in trouble? I don't know if I believe you."
Much to our surprise, Hayes didn't dig into the cake. He instead methodically calculated each move- from taking off the cake topper, to inspecting the hole left in the cake by the topper, to then deciding it might be okay to sample a bit of icing. He finally dug in when Daddy grabbed a fist full of cake and gave it to him. I suppose we should be proud that the manners we are working on have been instilled, despite the anti climatic smash cake experience. After all, manners are long-term, people!
Hayes loves his cousins! He reached over and hugged Claire several times on his own.
Doing man things: watching the Super Bowl, stacking blocks and reading Green Eggs and Ham.
We were so excited Grandma and Grandpa were able to make it out for the evening!
No comments:
Post a Comment