Much to our surprise (and excitement), the movers made the trip from Las Cruces to Harlingen at a much quicker rate than they had arrived, and on Monday morning after dropping Cody off for his first day of work, I received the call that they were at our storage unit, ready to unload. Our plan was to put all of our belongings in storage and move in with Cody's parents until we found, bought and closed on a house, so we were prepared to say goodbye to all but a few necessary items for at least the month of July, if not longer. On that note, may I just mention that a fashionista should never attempt to consolidate her entire wardrobe for more than a month into just one suitcase... this does not provide one with nearly enough outfit options, and there comes a point when not even accessories can spice up the same basic tees and tanks. Nonetheless, we survived. Anyway, the movers arrived Monday morning and after a very backwards way of processing the payment (this included waiting 3-4 hours for the moving company's business office to communicate with Cody's company, something that we thought had been taken care of pre-packing), we were finally able to see our belongings as they entered the storage units. But wait-- those belongings, including my fragile apothecary jars and other glass items, were not in boxes. That's right, they were just loose, chillin' on the truck with not one ounce of support to keep them from shattering on the 14 hour drive they just experienced. And... they did not break! It was truly a miracle! The lack of boxes for these items led me to open the boxes that did hold our dishes and other breakables, and it's a good thing I did. I was absolutely shocked at what I saw...
That's right folks-- this is how a professional moving company packed our glasses. Why use bubble wrap or wrapping paper when you can just grab our guest bath towels?
Imagine my shock when this is how I discovered our dishes were packed (or not packed?) Cale and I quickly procured some wrapping paper and new boxes and wrapped these babies up as securely as possible.
Just our glass and crystal serving dishes... no big deal.
That white bowl that you see in the top right corner of the box, buried under miscellaneous appliances and potholders? Oh yeah, that's just a china serving bowl. (I about died!!)
Finally, this is the state in which we found our drinking glasses. Once again, bath towels make a fantastic barrier to protect glass items, don't you think? Good thing we had some Tervis tumblers mixed in there, too.
After this small taste of the nightmare that was the grand finale of our move, I'm sure you can see why "moving debacle" is the perfect phrase to describe this experience. Despite all of the craziness and trouble, Cody and I could not have been more thankful to be back in south TX, and we refused to let any of the ridiculous occurrences get us down. After locking up that storage unit and bidding a forever farewell to our movers, we were more than motivated to begin the search for our first "official" home. After two weeks of looking at between 12 and 15 options, a week and a half of negotiations and an eternity of paperwork, our offer was accepted on the perfect home for our growing little family. There was only one little snag- before moving day, we had to redo the entire plumbing system and scrape the popcorn texture off of the ceilings. Luckily, this was a much smoother process than the initial move had been, and we moved into our home on August 17th with the help of lots of family and amazing friends. Through all of the trials and tribulations, I wouldn't change one moment of our moving and home buying experience. We learned a lot, grew up a little and came out of it all ever so thankful for answered prayers and blessings, once again!





No comments:
Post a Comment