Tuesday, March 15, 2011

To whet your appetite...figuratively and literally.

So, I know I've been a bit of a blog slacker lately. I like to think that's a good thing and shows you how super exciting life has been for Cody and me. :) I have, however, been guilted into an update by my fabulous sis-in-law, Katie, who has been kicking my butt at this lately...

While I must warn that this won't be the most lengthy of posts, I can assure you that it will satiate your appetite (both literally and figuratively) until the monster post that is under construction and should make its debut before another month passes.

The month of March has brought lots of Texas time for us, including a real, authentic Texas Independence Day celebration, Tennessee style. While living in God's country, I was always aware of the fact that this "holiday" fell on March 2nd, I of course understood it's significance, but this year I appreciated it tons more due to the mere fact that I wasn't in the Lone Star State to celebrate it. It's true what they say--you don't know what you've got til it's gone. Not to worry though, Cody and I are always looking for a reason to party, so along with our good friends the Riddle's and a group of Bayer Crop Science Texas natives (and honorary Texans), we got together for a good 'ol Texas Independence Day celebration. Everyone brought food that reminded us of our homeland, including brisket and all the fixins', chips and queso, some authentic Johnson margaritas and Spanish rice, Texas sized sugar cookies, and my very own soapapilla cheesecake. I definitely brought my Texas-sized appetite for this fiesta, and don't regret one second of indulgence!

And now the moment you've all been waiting for... the soapapilla cheesecake recipe. If you haven't tried this, you should probably get off the couch and whip it up--it's super easy and quite possibly one of my favorite desserts EVER. And those of you that know me know that's a bold statement, considering my sweet tooth is absolutely out of control. Let the walk to the kitchen be your cardio, because when that first bite melts in your mouth you'll forget every calorie and escape to a Mexican paradise, trust me.

Soapapilla Cheesecake

2 8 oz. packages cream cheese, softened
1 cup white sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 8 oz. cans refrigerated crescent rolls (come in dough sheets now, it's fool proof!)
3/4 cup white sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 cup butter, room temp.
1/4 cup honey

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease 9X13" baking pan. (Aluminum foil pans work best for this.) Beat cream cheese with 1 cup sugar and vanilla extract. Unroll crescent rolls and press 1 can into bottom of pan. Spread cream cheese on top and top with other can of crescent rolls.

Stir together 3/4 cup sugar, cinnamon, and butter. Dot mixture on top of cheesecake. Bake about 30 minutes until puffy and golden brown. Remove and drizzle with honey. Cool completely and cut into squares.

Until next time, adios mis amigos!

3 comments:

  1. If only I could wait til it cools. :). I cant wait to try it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Brittany, you need to put this on the Fiddlesticks blog. I'll eventually try it but I need company or else I'll eat the whole thing......

    ReplyDelete